Additional Information

For more information visit the WEB PAGE or click on the LINKS tab located to the right for additional resources. I am not a trainer, therapist, dietitian or farrier, but am a horse enthusiast, student and new horse owner with little to no experience learning as I go and this is my way of documenting shared information.


Wednesday 20 March 2013

Ella's Foaling Stall (nursery)

Worked on Ella's Foaling stall yesterday evening. Laid down straw bedding, hung two hay nets for her, filled a tub with water and put hay/feed in the wooden feeder.









Took a while and she may end up having it outside, but it's all done and there if need be.

When I finished and aired it all out, I went out and brought Ella in. Up until recently I've never put her in the stall inside the barn, it took us a while to get her used to being in the barn. So when I brought her in I kept her lead attached to the halter and was sure to stand with her, keep the two doors open and make it short - 10 minutes at a time. She stood and ate, looked around and then I would walk her out and into the aisle were she's comfortable, tie her, brush her and then we would repeat this two more times. The last time we did this I fed her the soaked beet pulp mash with broodmare feed.







She didn't do all that bad, she was a bit nervous and I did have to be careful she didn't spook and jump sideways towards me, but she gave me enough credit and I have confidence that if I keep it up as often as possible she will realize it's not a big deal. I intend to do this the same way tonight and again next time then remove the lead and shut the door(s) only for a short time frame. I realize the idea of being confined freaks her out. Below you can see how she's a bit spooked, when you can see the whites of her eyes and how tight and puckered her lips are. 









No comments:

Post a Comment