Additional Information

For more information visit the WEB PAGE or click on the LINKS tab located to the right for additional resources. I am not a trainer, therapist, dietitian or farrier, but am a horse enthusiast, student and new horse owner with little to no experience learning as I go and this is my way of documenting shared information.


Sunday 2 December 2012

Boredom and head bobbing

Eli's been head bobbing and working up a sweat more so lately than before. Could be because he's in a paddock over the winter to prevent slipping and competing for hay ( not sure where he fits in with the herd but he wasn't the dominant one )

Or, could be his feed - too much Protien as mentioned in the Hard Keeper - Feeding Pellets post.

Either way I am sure it is some sort of anxiety associated with boredom. Which is probably another good reason he is free feeding. When he's eating he's not bobbing his head.

What I did and HOPE it works is put some hay in a hay net, the one we used in the trailer when transporting him and hung it from his shelter. The idea is that he will eat from there but have to work a bit to get the hay out. Might have to let him finish off the hay in his paddock before he shows any interest. PLUS, if it's snowing or raining he'll be protected from the elements.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not, but I got it when I read a post about an EcoNet round bale. Seen a picture, but still haven't had a chance to look into that yet I will post about EcoNets once I research more.

Update: looks like its working. Went back two days later and netting was empty, certainly eating the hay so must be keeping him busy even if for just a short time. Refilled it before heading home.









No comments:

Post a Comment