Additional Information

For more information visit the WEB PAGE or click on the LINKS tab located to the right for additional resources. I am not a trainer, therapist, dietitian or farrier, but am a horse enthusiast, student and new horse owner with little to no experience learning as I go and this is my way of documenting shared information.


Thursday 7 February 2013

How important are lessons?

I went out to ride Eli and while practicing, seeking advice from instructors/experienced riders and while reading I accomplished a halt using my seat aids - therefore I didn't need to put any pressure on the reins.




Up until practicing and achieving this I was asking Eli to stop by putting direct pressure on the reins (bit) without using my seat. How confusing and uncomfortable do you think this could be for an ex- race horse that used to go faster when the jockey pulled back on the reins.


This thought made me think of other horse riding aids in relation to Jockey's and Thoroughbred race horse training. Seeing as how the rider is so high up, knees bent hovering or nearly standing over the horse, I don't imagine they use leg yields.

Then again the saying is 'All GO and NO Whoa' so I guess it doesn't matter much.

Luckily Eli's had plenty of re-training and I'm the one that needs to get up to speed with communication. Right now when I don't ask for something correctly he ignores me until I get it right - good teacher, but I don't want it to be at his cost i.e. pulling on his mouth with the bit etc.



OR, what about when they don't stay on the horse at all... check out the video by clicking on the link provided: Nate Hubbard ~ Hilarious jockey riding



No comments:

Post a Comment